Welcome to a few fun snipits of our life. Feel free to look around. We enjoy sharing our expiences with you.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Arriving in Panama City




Written by: Dan



I left home today at 2am (thanks to my beautiful bride for the early morning ride), to catch a 5:50 flight. After some worries about making my connection due to frozen water lines on the plane I landed safe and sound in Panama City, Panama at around 2pm. Usually my goal on a plane is to sleep, but Panama offers one of those landings with an interesting view looking out the window. As you approach you see many undeveloped islands, green forests, and vast ocean. Then, as you approace closer you see a whole slew of tankers waiting for thier turn to enter the canal. Even as you land not much habitation is seen. Not until you arrive to the actual city do you discover a booming metropolis. many new developments, boom crains, and construction break the skyline.



My first worry (or the worry of family and friends) was safety. Many people hear about kidnappings in South America. This issue was quickly put to rest. Taxis are heavily monitored. When I got in my taxi the drive had to talk to security to explain where I was from, and where I was headed. Along the way, the driver had to scan a badge at different tolls along the way. Once I arrived at my hotel (a Sheridan), I found the area to be warm, secure, and very inviting. I am sure, like anywhere else in the world, there are unsafe parts of Panama, but the fears of many Americans are largly unfounded.



I asked my taxi driver in broken spanish where to go in Panama, what to see. Of the 10 minute speach he gave me afterwards, I understood little beyond the word "Canal" 500 times. This made my site seeing decision quite easy. After checking in 3 of us got in a taxi with an english speaking driver and went to the canal. Actually, we went to the Mirafloras Locks. The canal is a 100 mile long monster streatching from the Pacific to the Atlantic. It consists of 3 areas. Locks near each ocean, and a large lake. We did the first locks, museum, movie, etc.... It was a good time.

We've since headed back to the hotel to do a little work and get ready for dinner. All in all, I've found Panama to be very exciting. Much more developed than I expected. However, I expected thier grasp on English to be much futher along than it actually is. Sure, some people speak fluent english - but many speak little to no English at all. I found english more widely spoken in most of Europe, and even into Tureky. It suprises me because of the long political history this country has with the United States. They still use our currency. I would have though english would be more integrated into thier culture.

No comments: